Those who call Conejo Valley their home count the area’s many options for family fun as one of the best parts of living here.
Whether an annual concert in the park, Conejo Valley Days or charity fundraiser, community events are plentiful year-round, as are countless family-friendly activities to enjoy together while building the family bond.
Here are some local favorites:
- See a show at the Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza This month’s must-see show is Cabrillo Music Theatre’s Children Of Eden, premiering in the Conejo Valley April 8-17. Based on the stories of Adam and Eve and Noah and the Ark, this wonderful new show is the story of parents and children…of knowing when to hold on tightly to family…and when to let go. With music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz (Wicked, Pippin, Godspell) and script by John Caird (co-director of Les Miserables), Children Of Eden fills the stage with beautiful music, story, dance, humor and imagery, making it the perfect show to see with family members of all ages. Also look for CMT’s The Little Mermaid this summer. CabrilloMusicTheatre.com The Civic Arts Plaza is also the place to see Pacific Festival Ballet’s performances. The Spring Ballet, Peter Pan, along with “Olympiad,” a tribute to the 2016 Olympics and “Tree of Life,” an homage to painter Gustav Klimt, takes place at the Fred Kavli Theatre next month on Saturday, May 21. Showtimes are 2 and 7 p.m. Find tickets at TicketMaster.com
- Visit The Lakes Shopping, dining and relaxing with family of all ages takes place at this favorite picturesque locale, designed around lakes and a waterfall. Cross the quaint bridge to a lush green lawn and a sand playground for kids; the perfect place for adults to relax while watching the little ones race around playing, swinging and sliding. Grab a healthy power shake from Sunlife or dine at your choice of restaurants, from Mexican to Chinese, pizza and burgers—even Vietnamese pho! Stroll the beautiful grounds while browsing the stores for clothes, skin care, and even natural foods and vitamins at Lassen’s. Kids’ Club and live events are popular at The Lakes, and in November, the community anticipates the transformation of The Lakes into a winter wonderland, featuring an outdoor ice skating rink.
- Exercise Local favorite family workout spots include options that fit every style of exercise. There’s yoga at YogaWorks and YogaUpstairs, Pilates at WundaBar, family basketball at the Bay Club, gymnastics and Parkour at Monarchs Gym, climbing at Boulderdash, indoor sports of every kind at Sports Academy and more. The Conejo Recreation & Park District maintains many public facilities for playing sports, including tennis and basketball courts, soccer, football and baseball fields. CRPD.org
- Local Parks & Trails With thousands of acres of open space, residents regularly take to the trail to explore the great outdoors together. The Thousand Oaks Botanical Gardens and Gardens of the World are favorite spots for nature lovers, and families can easily find trails for all skill levels, even stroller- and wheelchair-accessible paths. Family picnics in the plentiful parks make relaxing with family a great way to spend a lazy afternoon. CRPD.org
- Listen to the Music Concerts in the park are much-anticipated spring and summer community events, attracting hundreds of local families and friends who gather to sing and dance to favorite cover bands. Musical options are ample indoors too, with local restaurants serving up live music to suit any style, from jazz to country and everything in between. This month features the 5th Annual California Jazz & Wine Fest and the Ventura County Blues Festival. Look for details in this month’s calendar. Another opportunity for generations of family members to connect through music is offered by the Santa Clarita Philharmonic, a nonprofit, volunteer orchestra that offers free community concerts to make classical music accessible to families with children of all ages. The musical instrument “petting zoo” held prior to the concert allows children to see, touch and play orchestra instruments: playing a violin, french horn or a cello is always a big hit. Grandparents are often overjoyed at the opportunity to expose their grandchildren to music that is timeless. Look for them next month, May 15 at the Beethoven Egmont Overture, featuring the Winner of the 2nd Annual Student Concerto Competition and Hadyn Symphony No. 45 “Farewell” at Hart High School Auditorium, 24825 N. Newhall Avenue in Newhall. SCPhilharmonic.org
- Get Artsy More than 50 museums are located nearby, with displays to match all kinds of interests. There’s the Mullin Automotive Museum in Oxnard, featuring French art deco cars from the 1930s and ’40s, the Channel Islands Maritime Museum, Commemorative Air Force Aviation Museum at the Camarillo Airport and the Woolworth Museum in downtown Oxnard, to name a few. • Studio Channel Islands’ Blackboard Gallery in Camarillo features 12 fine art exhibitions a year and rotating exhibits from member artists. Cal Lutheran’s William Rolland Gallery of Fine Art, located on the Cal Lutheran campus, features interesting and exotic exhibits open to the public. For those that like to get creative together, Art Trek in Newbury Park offers art classes for artists of any age; older kids will enjoy creating works of art together at sip and paint events like Sunland Vintage Winery’s PaintNite.
- Movie Time Seeing a movie on the big screen with your family is the ultimate pleasure. Locals enjoy catching films at Muvico and Cinepolis, offering luxury seating as well as wine/beer (over 21!) and food service for movie patrons.
- Out to Eat! Eating out with family is a traditional favorite activity. Getting everyone to agree on where to go can present a challenge, with so many delicious family-friendly eateries around to choose from.
- Play Feel the adrenaline rush at MB2 Raceway, where kids of all ages can race indoor go karts, or practice the ol’ swing at All Stars Athletics batting cages. Pack the family in the car and head to Golf N’ Stuff in Ventura for an afternoon of golf and stuff.
- Shop Shopping options abound, with popular stores for all tastes located at the Oaks Mall, the Janss Marketplace and the Westlake Promenade.
- Road Trip Just a short drive from Conejo Valley in any direction brings you to a family destination to explore. Santa Barbara (don’t miss the zoo!), Ojai, Ventura, Malibu and Fillmore, each offering unique family discoveries, are all within an hour’s drive.
- Local Events Watch our calendar listings for information on local family events in the community each month.