Celebrate Sweetly in August
Join Celebrate Sweetly at its second annual “The Only Holiday in August” event. This engaging evening features a preview of Celebrate Sweetly’s Holiday 2016 selection, samplings of gourmet local and artisanal finds, entertainment and more. Twelve gift baskets will also be raffled, and 100% of the raffle proceeds will benefit the Conejo Compassion Coalition. RSVP by August 15 for the Wednesday, August 24 event, held 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Palm Garden Hotel, by calling 805.751.6177 or visiting CelebrateSweetly.com.
“A Country Fair with Ocean Air”
The 141st Ventura County Fair takes place this month, August 3 through 14 at the Ventura County Fairgrounds, 10 W. Harbor Boulevard in Ventura. Featuring arts, crafts, food, exhibits, displays, demonstrations, farm animals, a petting zoo, carnival rides, games and entertainment, the fair is open 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. The Ventura County Fair Parade on Saturday, August 6 starts at 10 a.m. in downtown Ventura. Gather with neighbors and friends to enjoy the colorful fun of the annual parade, featuring high school marching bands, classic cars, horses, clowns, politicians, school groups, dancers and more. This summertime tradition will become a memory to cherish. Fair admission: $12 adults (13 to 64); $9 children (6-12) and seniors (65+). Find entertainment lineup and special days information at VenturaCountyFair.org.
Up in the Air
The Camarillo Wings Association hosts this year’s “Wings Over Camarillo” Air Show with support from volunteers from the Southern California Wing of the Commemorative Air Force, EAA Chapter 723 and the Ventura County 99s. This year’s event takes place August 20 and 21 at the Camarillo Airport from noon to 4:30 pm. Enthusiasts can arrive early when the gates open at 9 a.m. The airshow features Vicky Benzing’s aerobatic performances, classic warbirds from the CAF and John Collver, military and experimental aircraft, antique cars and motorcycles, a War Veteran’s Tent, WWII re-enactment camp, helicopter and airplane rides, VIP Chalet tent and a variety of food and street vendors. Admission is $15 in advance; $20 the day of the event. Kids 6-12 are $5. For tickets and more information, visit WingsOverCamarillo.com.
All that Jazz
Jazz lovers have much to celebrate this month, with plenty of live jazz concerts scheduled throughout the town, deciding which one(s) to attend could present quite the conundrum!
- August 5: Grammy-nominated Jazz Pianist and Composer David Benoit, 7:30 p.m., Scherr Forum Theatre, CivicArtsPlaza.com
- August 7: 14th Annual Summer Jazz Concert Series at Gardens of the World, Louie Cruz Beltran, Latin Jazz to R & B classics to American Songbook Standards, 5 to 6:30 p.m., GardensOfTheWorld.info
- August 7: Sedalia Ragtime Orchestra, 3 to 4 p.m., at the Thousand Oaks Library. TOaks.org/library
- August 14: Carl Verheyen, Guitar Virtuoso, 5 to 6:30 p.m., Gardens of the World
- August 21: Dave Koz & David Sanborn: Side By Side, 7 p.m., at the Fred Kavli Theatre. CivicArtsPlaza.com
- August 21: Jeanne Tatum, Jazz, Blues and Soul Singer, 5 to 6:30 p.m., Gardens of the World
- August 28: Jazz on the Patio Free Summer Concert Series at St. Francis Episcopal Church, 280 Royal Avenue, Simi Valley. StFrancisChurchofSimi.org; 805.526.5141
- August 28: The Pete Myers Jazz Orchestra, 5 to 6:30 p.m., Gardens of the World