When done well, wine and food pairings are fun for us foodies, especially this “Hard to Please Guy.” Combining wine with fine cuisine provides the perfect opportunity to truly discover what a wine is all about as it complements and completes your meal.
During a recent visit to Deliteful, the classy “Eat Clean, Eat Delicious” restaurant in the Oaks Mall, we enjoyed a wine and food pairing dinner that epitomized their unique approach to eating food that is both healthy and delicious. Guests experienced firsthand the first-class fine dining establishment that is Deliteful and met their new chef.
These mini-events provide a unique atmosphere that allows for much more socializing than a typical “dinner out.” Patrons get to chat with the hosts and other guests, perhaps making new friends and acquaintances. Deliteful’s event felt like a celebratory dinner in the middle of the week.
Owner Tracy Webster, always warm and gracious, introduced Chef Karen Forsberg, whose career highlights include 11 years with Chicago’s famed Lettuce Entertain You, a stint as head chef of a restaurant in Tuscany, several years in the kitchen of Il Fornaio in Beverly Hills and many years as a private chef to a Russian oligarch. Forsberg explained how a devastating diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis spurred her to reclaim her health by eliminating sugar and gluten from her diet, making her a perfect match for Deliteful’s “Eat Clean, Live Healthy” philosophy.
The featured food and wine served that evening was excellent, with each course paired perfectly with the wine. The 5-course menu included the following:
- Hamachi Crudo, made with raw shaved yellowtail, lemon wasabi cream, baby heirloom tomatoes, Persian cucumbers, Japanese caviar, radish sprouts and crispy shallots, paired with a Panther Creek 2014 Pinot Gris (Oregon) kicked off the meal.
- Second was Petaluma Duck Terrine with white glazed leeks and fennel served with a wedge of Tomales County Creamery Atika and house-made seeded wild garlic crisps matched with a Panther Creek 2013 Oregon Pinot Noir. Roasted Vegetable Terrine was another option.
- Course 3 featured Inchiostro Tagliatelle Di Seppie, squid ink pasta in a rich garlic wine sauce and roasted miniature vegetables crowned with imported aged ricotta salata. This rich course paired well with a California Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel from Sbragia Family Vineyards.
- Next up was Watkins Farm grass-fed ribeye topped with imported Italian Casale Monferrato Gorgonzola butter and served with butternut squash soufflé. It was matched with a Washington state Bordeaux-style red, Delille Cellars D2 Merlot/Cabernet. Wild Mushroom Chicken Piccata was another choice.
- Finally, the fifth course (dessert) featured Wild Berry Clafoutis. This rich berry custard topped with pink peppercorn creme anglaise and house-made chipotle ganache truffles paired perfectly with a California Sbragia Cabernet.
Who says you can’t dine like royalty and still eat clean and healthy? Take a break from your holiday shopping at the Oaks Mall and stop in to Deliteful to taste for yourself how mouthwatering fare and healthy food combine to create an unforgettably satisfying culinary experience.
Deliteful is located on the lower level entrance across the parking lot from Nordstrom. Call 805.418.5118 for reservations or visit DelitefulMeals.com to find out more.